View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
Not to start a big Eagles debate here, but I don't think that's remotely true. I appreciate what Felder brought to the band - he's a world-class rock guitarist - but the only widely-known songs he's even partially credited with writing are Hotel California and Victim of Love. Granted, HC is probably their signature tune, but even Felder admits that Henley wrote most of its lyrics.

They had 18 Top 40 hits, and Felder co-wrote one of 'em. Victim of Love, while a great track, wasn't released as a single, even. The vast majority of their hits were Henley/Frey compositions. I don't think that's in dispute.
HC - while the lyrics are good, they'd have been nothing without the music, which was Felder. It's a fairly unusual chord progression, and makes the song what it is.

He was never really a songwriter. That wasn't his place in the band. So that's kind of like slamming Mick or John, because they're not songwriters. He was brought in before Joe Walsh, when they were trying to lose their "country" sound, and he did just that. I'm a huge fan of his playing, and always thought his solos were far more interesting than Joe's "generic" solos.