View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
Yeah, and apparently, she had been "writing . . . like a maniac" too!

Please.

Go back and look at the actual "Say You Will" album.

1.) Illume has already been mentioned - very important and serious song, but I guess she "borrowed" it from another writer.

2.) Thrown Down. k, I'll give her this one.

3.) Say You Will - i.m.o., this was written with the sole intent of having a single to release to get radio time to promote the entire album. I like it, and it's a catchy, fun song, but let's face it, someone with Stevie's talent could have written this one on the back of a paper bag at lunchtime... And look at the actual lyrics - there's two short verses and one catchy chorus which is repeated over and over; that's the entire song.

4.) Smile at You - this is an old, old song that she wrote way back in the late '70s.

Quote:
5.) Running Through the Garden - I definitely give her this one, and I consider it brilliant. I think it sorta "refers back" to an earlier 1980s song called "Gate and Garden," too.
6.) Silver Girl - k, I'll give her that, too.

7.) Everybody Finds Out - k, yeah, I'll give'er that. I think it's another brilliant one, actually.

8.) Destiny Rules - k, I'll give her this, too. I like it, at least. The peak of her career? That I'm not so sure of.

9.) Goodbye Baby - she wrote this as "The Tower" back in 1979 or so.

That's six songs that she wrote recently that ended up on the album, at least one of which was well below her ability level. Lets say she had started a year beforehand - although the last real FM album was - what - 1990? That had four of her songs, none of which were hits. Can you name one of them?
Six songs in, say, one year is not "writing like a maniac," and it's not the kind of output you would expect a "prolific" songwriter to have.

And so - not putting her down here but - another "unpopular opinion" that I have is -

Stevie tells "little white lies" sometimes, and has absolutely no qualms about it. But, although she doesn't realize this -

she's not very good at it. It's usually pretty obvious when she's fibbin'. She doesn't quite realize that, though....
Running Through The Garden is an OLD song too! It was rejected for Mirage..years ago.