View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Play one of the 1979 rehearsals of a song, & then play that same song from one of the 1978 shows. The musical style, attack, pacing, dynamics, sound field & ambience are all virtually identical. Even the singers' vocals are extremely alike from the first year to the second. In fact, there's far more musical & sound similarity between 1978 performances & first leg 1979 performances than there is between first leg 1979 performances & final leg 1979 performances (which is part of the reason why I've always said the final leg showed the greatest distance covered in performance evolution ever as regards that version of the band).
I never thought of it like that. For those who caught them in 1977 and 1978, that must have been quite a treat. I love the evolution myself, love to catch a tour near the beginning and see what changes along the way. Setlist changes are great, but changes within the same song are sometimes more illuminating and then just watching the band members' actions evolve is fascinating.

During the UTS tour for instance, I noticed that IKINW changed over time. That was interesting, because that song always worked no matter what. It wasn't surprising that he tinkered with a newer song like Not Too Late, along the way.

With the Dance tour, I noticed that Chris had a habit of hugging and kissing the band members before the group took their final tour. That was in the first weeks. By the end, she wasn't making the rounds to kiss anyone, while Lindsey, on the other hand, was increasing his band contact with everyone as the tour wore on.

Michele