View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Absolutely, yes.

Rumours has Lindsey offering absolutely perfect pop songs, but that isn't really what we're discussing here. And I'm thrilled more people than expected are recognizing the sheer creativity and passion he displays on Say You Will.
You know, that is the same reason people have given to Dreams not being one of Stevie's best songs, saying it's a perfect pop song but not representative of Stevie's best work. I think that sentiment is rooted in the fact that it is played so often it now seems stale, not fresh or alive anymore. As I've argued that that studio recording perhaps captures the three voices of the lead singers together better than any other song while also giving a nod to the earlier blues roots of the band, I have to also disagree with regard to Lindsey's songs. I don't want to reduce them down to whether they're pop or rock and roll or artistically successful or whatever, they are great songs and there is a reason they continue to be played today. I'm glad OnIce mentioned The Chain, which I forgot. Lindsey's guitar work on that song is notable and is as important to the searing power of the record as Stevie's lyrics. I welcome that Go Your Own Way, The Chain, Never Going Back Again, and Second Hand News are considered rock classics and I see them as among his best work, even if it's not considered the cool choice. While Lindsey wanted to separate himself from that sound and not limit himself, he wasn't always successful in subsequent albums, including Tusk. And I think Say You Will, though it may have some of his best songs in years, also demonstrates some of the drawbacks of Lindsey's vision when not balanced by other members in the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Although Tusk is a pop masterpiece in it's own right, I think I would do his work on '75 and Rumours a great disservice by not recognizing that his work is the dictionary definition of classic rock while Tusk is more of a "cult classic". When you put on the '75 album and are immediately treated to Lindsey's voice "Monday morning you sure look fine... it showcases a previously underappreciated talent in Mr Buckingham. Same with Blue Letter "when your day goes down, I won't be waitin' around for you". World Turning, although a partially "borrowed" song from Peter Green, the sounds he got out of his guitar are nothing short of brilliant. Ending with his show stopping masterpiece, which remains to this day in I'm so Afraid, heck he even recycled it a couple of times in Tango and This is the Time.
This is an excellent argument for the inclusion of Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey vocals are also in top shape on Crystal, and despite it being a Stevie song, I think his voice brings something to the song that she never could. Hmmm...Monday Morning, World Turning, I'm So Afraid (though more famous as a live performance than its studio version), Crystal, Blue Letter cover. He certainly came onto the scene big on this album, offering a strong contribution.