Thread: Twin Peaks 2016
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 11:22 AM

Laura Palmer is Returning to Twin Peaks
Her boyfriend Bobby will be there, too.

BY MELISSA LOCKER JANUARY 18, 2015 2:10 PM

25 years ago, Laura Palmer promised she would return to Twin Peaks. Now, it’s officially happening.

Actress Sheryl Lee, who played the prom queen in the original series is on-board for the nine new Twin Peaks episodes coming to Showtime next year. She’s not coming to the dance alone, either, but is bringing her leather jacket-wearing boyfriend, Bobby (Dana Ashbrook) with her. They made their announcement at the Twin Peaks UK Festival, according to fan site Welcome to Twin Peaks.

It remains to be seen how the two characters will be incorporated into the cult hit, particularly because the new season is set in present day—25 years after the haunting finale in season two. As anyone who had an “I Killed Laura Palmer” t-shirt in the ’90s can calculate: That means Palmer will have been dead for a long time.

Though the show’s third season won’t premiere until 2016, there’s plenty to keep fans of the cult show happy—David Lynch is directing all the episodes and Kyle MacLachlan is returning for another damn fine cup of coffee. There is also an exciting rumor going around that Sherilyn Fenn—last seen playing an FBI wife on Showtime’s Ray Donovan—will reprise her role as bad-girl-in-bobby-socks, Audrey Horne. Showtime has said that many of the original cast will be returning for the third season.

As for how Showtime landed the television coup, a new interview in AdWeek sheds some light on the mystery. Turns out that contrary to long-established Hollywood reboot rituals, Showtime president David Nevins was the one chasing down Lynch and co-creator Mark Frost. “I was kind of begging them and hoping to pass muster with David Lynch,” he said. Once he got them on board with the idea, he stepped back, saying his contribution now is "more or less, writing checks and leaving them alone. It's David’s show, it's Mark [Frost]’s show, I will be the grateful recipient of it.”

Nevins added one more teaser for fans: “I will say that they have been very specific in promising closure, and that’s exciting. … From what I’ve seen, this is going to live up to expectations and then some.”

All-new episodes of Twin Peaks will premiere on Showtime in 2016.

Correction: An earlier version of this article misidentified which vehicle was the preferred mode of transport of Bobby, one of Laura Palmer’s several boyfriends. Bobby does not usually ride a motorcycle, unlike Palmer’s other boyfriend, James.

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...mer-twin-peaks