View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
Having worked for a promoter, I've seen many contracts over the years. I can tell you this: The cost of a tour is tremendous, sponsored or not. Lets say you're Band X and have an agreement with Bud Light for a summer tour. Bud Light pays the "tour" the rights to advertise and/or sell their product at venues etc. (assuming venue doesn't have their own deal). Then you gotta look at the gross that you refer to and then start subtracting............the subtracting will make your head spin between union roadies, set-up, buses, catering, fees, fuel etc. The bills are endless. Everyone has their hand in your pocket. Sure , many artists have a guarantee in their contract, but they as well have management fees and commissions and taxes etc. I learned in the music biz that nothing is free..................

that's the beauty of publishing. the overhead is a LOT less than what a tour costs and it can pay for a looong time.............Why do you think that Lindzers sold his catalog a few years back? That's where the money was for him!! Now, someone owns the rights to his songs. Sadly, I think of Stevie and having no heirs. Mom and dad are gone and she ONLY has Chris, so who gets it when she's gone?? Her estate, BUT that does no one any good. Some company will buy the rights to her music and in 20 years you'll be seeing another cover of Landslide by the new Dixiecrat Chixx or an ad for Bud on the Superbowl 75.
I think her main heir in reality will be her niece, who also just had a baby who will, if things go well, will be the next generation heir. If Stevie is smart she'll have some sort of trust or other organization through which her money will continue to be managed by business people with others (family, goddaughters, friends, etc) being the recipients of income the trust generates. I hope the hell she's not just handing everything over lock stock and barrel to one person. Kiss it all goodbye in that case.