View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It’s their life and all they know is the road. Some do retire like Grace Slick, REM just to name the first two that comes to mind. It’s not always the money but I’m sure the high that an entertainer gets from the energy of a live audience is like a drug to many.
Yes! I was going to mention R.E.M., too (one of my all-time favorites and definite soundtrack to my life growing up in Georgia in the '80s). I had mad respect for them for continuing on without Bill Berry (post aneurism) for 15 years, and even more respect for being self-aware enough to know when to call it. They had great successes, made an indelible impact on the music scene for a couple decades, continued to tour and make albums for years (with Berry's blessing), and then realized, "We had a great ride and it is time to move on." There's a lot to be said for that. They're all still dabbling in different projects (music oriented and otherwise) and appear to be enjoying life post-R.E.M.

I do 100% understand how it would be hard to walk away though. As many here have stated, once you experience the thrill of the adulation and cheering manic crowds (and GOBS UPON GOBS OF MONEY), it would be nearly impossible to walk away. I'm amazed Christine retired for as long as she did... and also was not surprised when she came back for the same reasons.