View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There is a certain level of outrageous behavior that is taken for granted among show business people that doesn't exist in normal social circles. There's usually a flamboyant side to someone who makes it in show biz, and they enjoy being able to show it. I also think this type of outrageousness serves as a sort of mutual self-defense technique among show business people. The very fact of being an entertainer means you're out there being scrutinized by the public, all the time. Thirty years later something you wore once is getting criticized by fans, for instance. (Cf. this thread.)

My point in saying this is that you really can't draw any conclusions about a show business person's real attitudes about Jews/blacks/gays/any minority because of a party costume or joke they told. If you see a pattern of behavior over time, then you can start drawing conclusions.

By the way, I think that performance of "Over and Over" is fabulous. I love Fleetwood Mac when they're a little rough around the edges. I don't think Chris sounds drunk in the sound clip. I think at the beginning she sounds hesitant, like she's having trouble getting the tempo of the song right, but she recovers halfway through the song. I think Mick/John save the day on this clip ... steady as a rock rhythm section.