View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
All of that is true. But most of the songs on the list never cracked the UK charts either. The picks from Mirage are Only Over You and Gypsy. None of his top picks were that big in the UK either.
Behind the Mask was a #1 album in the UK so where is the love on this UK list if that was the standard? I think everyone who make these lists agree that pop success should not be the factor for ranking songs. If I never heard any song from Mirage before and played the album for the first time, Hold Me would stand out as a great tune.
But then again, all of this is subjective and none of us could ever agree on anything. Dreams is a great song but it does get annoying because of its #1 status it always gets the top spot on these lists. I think Why would top my list.
I was responding to your claim that “Hold Me” was one of their biggest hits. Yes—in the US. It was released twice in the UK without any real action. The Brits weren’t biting then or later. Yes, they mention a lot of non-chart songs in the list, but when a single (as opposed to album track) refuses to chart twice in a place that means that place ain’t interested.