View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I couldn't disagree with you any more....I think Heroes... is a GREAT album. Sure, the album was done under "duress", but in spite of it, they came up with great material.

So, did you make your "'74 was a horrible year for music" comment out of personal experience? Or from hindsight of just listening to music from that year? Again, I seriously disagree with your opinion on that.
Yes, I suppose they did the best they could under the circumstances... but the album is a mess. It is easily Christine's weakest collection of songs for an album. This album is full of the kind of filler you would normally put in amongst better quality filler. And "Safe Harbour" has easily got to be the must unnecessary, perfunctory two-chord piece of crap ever to receive the "Fleetwood Mac" label. And WTF is up with the sound quality of this recording? It sounds like it was recorded in a vat of molasses.

Regarding the year 1974, I really can't come up with any landmark albums that came out that year. Even the Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin sat out that year. Bob Dylan released a meh album that year. Queen, Neil Young and Yes also released meh albums too. And that's when Paul McCartney started to suck badly. All of the great bands that emerged in the sixties were still in transition to either becoming seventies burnouts or bad parodies of themselves. 1974 was a bit after hippie flower power died out, but a little bit early for punk and the second British Invasion. Classic middle child syndrome.

Just about the only decent album I can think of from 1974 is Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark, which is still a ridiculously overrated album for what it was. Yes, it's notable for being Joni's breakthrough in the jazz-pop realm, but it's certainly not her best collection of songs- that would be 1975's Hissing of Summer Lawns.