Thread: Sunday Night
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The interview can be watched here: http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-nigh...rn-of-the-mac/

Lots of what we know, I thought the old and new footage we used quite well, and...

Have some quotes that I took down after watching it the second time (not fast enough to transcribe whilst watching live):

IN: How does it feel when you walk out on stage and everyone is going nuts and stomping the ground and you're walking out hand in hand with Lindsey?
SN: I feel like I did when I first met him and started to sing with him. Because I knew. I knew that Lindsey and Stevie were going places.

SN: It is in many ways one of the greatest love stories ever told. It's one of those great romances of the century... It's a relationship that spans centuries and has come out on top.

VO: For thirty years, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks played together but barely spoke.
SN: We both tried to kill each other.
VO: Now they're back.
SN: It reminds me of the seventies. It reminds me of the early days when we first started out.

VO: It's 46 years since Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham met in high school.
IN: You remember what made you fall in love with Lindsey? What characteristics?
SN: Really? It just happened. And I guess I just, you know, really appreciated his amazing talent. And of course not to mention he was drop dead gorgeous.

VO: When Lindsey went to play in another band, Stevie thought about leaving him. The time apart inspired one of her most famous song.
SN: When I took my love, I took it down, like off the mantle to really study what was going on and what had happened between Lindsey me since 1966 when we met. I decided that I would not break up the relationship with Lindsey.
IN: And the rest is history.
SN: And the rest is history. And to be continued.

SN: Lindsey said, "Well, she's coming too so either you take both of us or I can't join your band."

IN: How difficult was the break-up for you?
SN: Well, it wasn't difficult for me. Because I wanted it to be over?
IN: Why?
SN: Because we weren't happy and we can't be together anymore and we can't break up the band over it.

IN: So when you guys were looking at each other with, to me, it kind of looks like you want to kill each other is -
SN: Well, we kind of do.
IN: So when we saw you kind of bellowing at each other with what looks like hatred, that was real?
SN: Absolutely, absolutely.

IN: What was it like backstage?
SN: Nothing
IN: You just would not communicate? Wouldn't go near each other? Certainly wouldn't hold hands as you walk to the stage?
SN: *shaking head* Separate dressing rooms, separate cars...
IN: How do you do that?
SN: You sit on one end of the plane; he sits on the other end of the plane.
IN: For how many years was it like that then?
SN: Forever
IN: Since 1976?
SN: Pretty much.

SN: That [cocaine fuelled years] was a very hard time for my parents.
IN: Did your Mom, do you think, when you were at your worst with cocaine, do you think she thought you weren't going to survive?
SN: Yeah, I think she thought, cos I stopped communicating. Because I didn't want to make them sad but I also didn't want to stop doing drugs. So I stopped calling and they wouldn't hear from me for a long time. And I think they thought they were going to lose me.

IN: I want to ask you about your relationship with Mick. Would that have even happened if there weren't so many drugs involved?
SN: Probably not. That was really kind of an accident.

IN: But you have brought everyone back together when everyone's gone their separate ways.
MF: Yes, I've been blamed for keeping it all together. As of the last few years or so, I really had to take a look at not being that person with the whip, you know, and "we've got to do this" and just, it became inappropriate for me to continually push, push, push. So I had to let go of that.

IN: Is it fair to say that the band is all getting along better now than it has in years?
MF: Yeah, it really is.... I mean those two people walking out on stage, Stevie and Lindsey, they were partners when they were 16 years old.
IN: When you met them then, they were very much in love, weren't they?
MF: Oh, yes, of course.

VO: Lindsey got married in 2000 and has three children. Stevie is happily single. She travels with two four legged companions.
IN: Could it be said that, if it wasn't for Fleetwood Mac, you guys might never have broken up?
SN: It's possible that we might've stayed together.
IN: Gotten married?
SN: Very possible.
IN: Had kids?
SN: Had kids. But, you know, destiny intervenes.
IN: Do you ever wish that's what happened?
SN: No, because I never go against destiny.

IN: I want to ask you about you mom. I know she was very, very special to you and I know that she passed just -
SN: Yeah, not long ago.
IN: Without her, would you have been able to do what you're doing now?
SN: No. I am alone in this world without her. Do I miss having a boyfriend or a man in my life? No. Do I miss my mother? I miss her so much that it makes me nauseous. Because there's nobody who can fill that void. There is nobody that can take her place. And there is nobody who can pull me back into sanity like she was able to do. And so what I tell people is "don't ever take your mother for granted cos she could be gone tomorrow". She left a lot of stuff, a lot of scrapbooks and writings and a suitcase that I have yet to open. It's been almost two years, I guess. I'm just not ready.

VO: The loss put a lot of things in perspective. Especially her relationship with Lindsey. Stevie decided that after 36 years, it was time to make peace.
SN: My mom always said to me too, you know, "it's really easy to say you're sorry." Just walk up to someone and say "I'm really sorry. Honestly, I'm really sorry." And that's it. That's all you have to say. And that's something we don't say very much.
IN: Both of you needed to apologise to each other?
SN: *nods*
IN: And now you have?
SN: Mm-hmm. *nods*
IN: And it's changed everything.
SN: It's changed everything. And so for the better.
IN: What was his response?
SN: His response was good. His response was, more or less, "I wish you'd told me all this a long time ago" and so then you're like "Well, you know, I didn't take the time to sit down and explain to you why I wasn't happy. Because I thought you knew. And you didn't. You didn't know."
IN: Do you wish you'd had that chat then. (?)
SN: Yeah, I wish I do, I certainly do. It certainly would've made the last thirty years easier. Yeah. It's sure a lot more fun this way.

SN: Sometimes I see the boy I first met when he was sixteen and I haven't seen him since we first joined Fleetwood Mac.