View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
But I agree with your sentiment. I resent the often-perpetuated idea that being attracted to attractive people suddenly becomes "creepy" once you hit a certain age. I certainly don't plan on stopping myself from looking as I get older.
Not to hijack this thread but as a young woman in her twenties (and not too far removed from her teens), I feel that it's one thing to catch an older man taking a quick look, but anything more than that, I really start to feel threatened and/or creeped out (well, in fairness, I feel uncomfortable if men of any age gawk or ogle, but there is admittedly less of a creep factor with younger men than compared to older men). In hindsight, as a well-endowed young teenager, I really, REALLY felt uncomfortable with older men checking me out. Like, my fight or flight would kick in. I think whether you resent it or not, some girls and women are going to be creeped out by you checking them out because you've reached a certain age. That might not stop you from staring, but you can't stop them from feeling creeped out, because like for me, I can't help when my feeling of fight or flight kicks in with certain men (and men of a certain age).

I think it's one thing to admire someone being attractive and taking a quick peak and another thing to feel entitled to gaze upon them just because you find them attractive. That's ignoring them as a person with feelings, and essentially, objectifying them.