View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Good point, and I totally agree. Danny's contribution was the "pop/rock" element in the band during the Peter Green years. By the way, I absolutely love Danny's songs; he is my third favorite Mac member (after Chris and Bob).

It would be interesting to visit a parallel universe where Peter and then Jeremy didn't succumb to outside influences and leave the band, to see how the band might have continued to evolve with that lineup intact. They most certainly would, considering how different 'Then Play On' was from the previous, more blues-centered records.
Danny was a true ace, a child prodigy of R&R. Is it any wonder Mick was so hesitant to cut him? With Green's prodding and nurturing, he was on a blaze towards ever greater heights. The shame, the tragedy, is that Peter and Danny couldn't have played on.

Then again we may not have seen Bob Welch if that were the case, or Christine McVie in all her wonder, or - egads - Buckingham & Nicks. So in another sense, maybe it worked out for the best. They certainly left us some choice pearls before their days were done.

I also have to say we are very lucky Kiln House was produced. On that transitional production Jeremy Spencer really shines bright, a fitting and lasting tribute to his influence in the FM legacy. Danny worked nicely with him on both vocal and instrumental interplay (just like DK did with Welch later on), and we further catch our first glimpse of sweet Christie's vocals.

You really can't appreciate all that Fleetwood Mac is without visiting their early and middle periods. The superstardom phase we all know about (and it was good, very good).

The parallel universe concept -- I like that.