View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default BTM- My Thoughts

Hi everyone. I've decided to make this thread because I have just purchased BTM and after listening to it several times, I am extremely perplexed as to why it is generally disliked. I'm going to go song by song...feel free to post your own opinions on them.

Skies The Limit- Title is gramatically incorrect Seriously though, the song itself is a great opener and shows that Christine's music was terribly overlooked in this period and it was fantastic. So glad it's on the VBO.

Love Is Dangerous- Here, I began to hear the harmonies of all four vocalists making for a great chorus that was very catchy and stayed stuck in my head. A fun song and Stevie actually sounds OK here in her parts.

In The Back Of My Mind- Listening to this at night kinda freaked me out, but otherwise it is a perfect example of the diversity of FM's music and was quite fun to listen to.

Do You Know- The first three words of this song hit me like a ton of bricks. Wow...the harmony. This is one of my favorite on the album. The chorus is also beautiful in itself. Kudos to Christine and Rick again.

Save Me- Christine is at it again with her catchy fun songs. It was here where I really began to see that Christine was in top form and this song is no exception. I love the "I'm runnin for cover baby..."

Affairs Of The Heart- Stevie's first song...and from the first line I knew it was going to be a doozy. She really sounded flat and nasally in these and basically all of her contributions to the album. Now the song and music themselves are quite appealing...I think I would want to hear 1979 Stevie sing this.

When The Sun Goes Down- Yee Haw! Another fun tune that really caught my attention for its unique southern style and I loved every moment of it. Thanks again to Rick and Billy for bringing these types of songs to FM!

Behind The Mask- Oh yes! Christine with darker songwriting. What do you get? An awesome song that conjures up feelings of Morning Rain and Brown Eyes with her soulful brooding voice. Well done again Christine!

Stand On The Rock- This one didn't strike me as another great tune but had its merits nonetheless. "When it comes back around..." Hearing again the melding of voices to produce that sound was excellent. Seems like this would make a fun live song.

Hard Feelings- The album continues flowing smoothly along and we get a nice bittersweet piece about well...hard feelings. Very good job on it. Love the vocal.

Freedom- Stevie's best, if you could call it that, on the album. To me, it is a little less repetitive than Affairs of the Heart, but still has that flat quality. Still listenable though!

When It Comes To Love- This I didn't like as much. Maybe the lyric "You got to treat it special..." turned me off. Christine's voice is still so on though and I like the "looove" at the end of the chorus line.

The Second Time- Ok...maybe it would be best to keep my comments to myself...why not just leave it off the album? Stevie was not singing well here, but this certainly didn't spoil the album!

Overall, the album was an experience I had truly not expected at all! After hearing so much bad, I was so surprised to see all the good that was really in it. So what if Stevie was bad? Does that make the whole thing a joke? No way! Rick, Billy, and Christine made a great effort and I truly love this album for its unique set of songs, harmonies, songwriting itself, and its running order was quite smooth in my opinion, very cohesive and listenable. Now, I just can't wait to get Time!

Shamus