Thread: Bob Welch era
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
My question is (and I don't know the answer) if it was about royalties why did the feuds only come about in later years? Surely Bob negotiated his deals early on and he would have known how the royalties were panning out from album to album. If you knew you were being dicked over surely you'd leave after the first album not stay for another and then another and then another...
Why did he only decide there was a problem in the late 1980's?

As far as the documentaries... there seem to be so many that airbrush him out. I'm sure that's not down to the band. I get the feeling it's more down to the producers/editors who are thinking about viewers and ratings. Lindsey and Stevie are the big draws and they want to move onto that era as quickly as possible. There was a BBC documentary on the other night called Don't Stop (that I've seen quite a few times. That documentary speeds through even the Peter Green era (even though its a British production) and hardly mentions Bob Welch. Of an hour programme, about 52 minutes are dedicated to 1975 onwards. I don't know roughly when Bob met Wendy. I wonder whether she was the major catalyst for their falling out?

I really hope there will be a well made documentary that will explain everything. I'd love a 5-parter along the lines of The Beatles' anthology series.
I don't know the answer either but speculating that the Mac albums he was involved with sold many more copies after he left the band. He had no idea Fleetwood Mac was going to turn into a super group. I bet he wanted some royalties for those albums. Its possible when he left out of anger and frustration he did not lay the groundwork for the future. I don't think anyone could blame him to think the band would be one of the most successful in history and sell many more of the albums he was involved with. Bob had a successful solo career. Once the 80's started his career fizzled and probably realized he was not getting paid properly. Once the hits stop and you sober up, you start to take a fresh look around.
Just my speculation.
In Mick's book he talks that Bob was as influential to the band as Lindsey (too bad Bob was not around to read this). I do agree though. Bob took the band to another level especially singing and harmonizing with Chris. Bob did bring mysticism to the band. It was the perfect transfer to exit and Lindsey and Stevie to join.
I love to hear Chris and Bob harmonize. Its so sad we will never hear them sing together again.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-08-2017 at 05:53 PM..