View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
Not to start a big Eagles debate here, but I don't think that's remotely true. I appreciate what Felder brought to the band - he's a world-class rock guitarist - but the only widely-known songs he's even partially credited with writing are Hotel California and Victim of Love. Granted, HC is probably their signature tune, but even Felder admits that Henley wrote most of its lyrics.

They had 18 Top 40 hits, and Felder co-wrote one of 'em. Victim of Love, while a great track, wasn't released as a single, even. The vast majority of their hits were Henley/Frey compositions. I don't think that's in dispute.
Everyone always focuses on lyrics, but great lyrics with crappy music/chord progressions/riffs won't get you a hit song. Henley's a great lyricist but not as strong writing the music-- he's a lot like Stevie in that regard. In his solo work he relied on Danny Kortchmar among others to carry the musical load just as he relied on others within the Eagles. Without the music he'd just have a bunch of poetry notebooks full of stuff no one would ever hear.