View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the verb tense thing is total bull****. It's the kind of feedback a producer provides. It wasn't done meanly or nastily (which yes he at times had done in the past, esp. when they were breaking up and he was not happy about it, and so yes I get that might sensitize her to any feedback from him -- but then that's on her for projecting past **** onto present situations).

In the interim she had become a big solo star (though one who faded in the late 80s and the 90s and who should remember that is still possible) and that made her feel like she had the power to not have anyone around her critique her in any way. He does not buy into that mindset so much, and she hates it. (who is he to talk to me like that now that I'm a far bigger star than he is and he needs me more than I need him for my career).

From what various members and roadies, producers etc have said, Lindsey probably did overstep a bit in the beginning by telling John and Mick what and how to play to get the effect he desired on his songs, being used to being the boss in BN and not recognizing that at that point he had joined THEIR band not vice-versa. I don't think John needed bass playing lessons, and perhaps LB could have gotten the desired results better if he'd been more collaborative and less directive in his approach. John clearly let him know this. Remember, Chris has described LB in those days as moody, a bit mercurial, hard to get to know, a bit distant. Maybe a bit resentful (as he still thinks BN was on the verge of breaking thru at that point). He focused on what they gave up to doing FM and Stevie focused on what they gained. (which for her was some other people between her and LB). She's never going to interpret anything that happens between them free from their pasts. He seems more desirous of starting a new chapter.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-23-2021 at 04:05 PM..