View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think Lindsey would say that "art" (of the caliber that sasja mentions) is largely dependent on the equation of time--and thus even the most diversional of pop ditties might be rightly labelled "art" if they withstand the test of longevity.

Lindsey always seems very much interested in creating "art" and avoiding any label to the contrary.

Stevie, one assumes, is angling for the Nobel Prize in Literature with her insistence on six-minute poetry epics, endless references to classical literature, and pervasive use of Dylanesque pronominalization.

Contrast with Christine, who--unlike her ambitious Californian colleagues--has always seemed satisfied if she can successfully create a "diversional ditty," and almost seems uncomfortable if one of her enduring hits is elevated to planes of greater significance. That's my read on it anyway.

Regarding tango87's topic, I find that I can still blithely enjoy the music if it's a Christine song or a Lindsey solo song, for example, but as soon as it's an FM song where the Buckingham-Nicks narrative is salient (or imputable), I find it difficult to disentangle the song from the story. And even over the past 20 years, they've been selling the story as part of the song since The Dance.