View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 AM

I remember reading some articles in which Lindsey did say that the EP songs are written for and/or about Stevie, but they're also written so that they could appeal to her, here are some I just found:

Stevie Nicks arrived at the sessions towards the end, and Buckingham presented her with "Sad Angel." "I wrote that song for Stevie," he says. "She always had to fight for everything. She was coming off a solo album and was in the process of reintegrating herself mentally in the band, and we're all warriors with a sword in one sort or another. She and I have known each other since high school. So I just wrote, 'Sad Angel have you come to fight the war/We fall to earth together, the crowd calling out for more.'"
Like many of the group's greatest songs, "Sad Angel" reflects on Lindsey and Stevie's complex relationship. "All these years later, we are still writing songs that are dialogues for each other," he says. "That was part of the appeal of Rumours, and of the group in general . . . Of all the things we cut, 'Sad Angel' was, for lack of a better term, the most Fleetwood Mac-y. It was really kind of the best stuff that we have done in a while." [...] The show wraps with "Say Goodbye," the only song of the night drawn from the group's 2003 LP Say You Will. "As I said, Stevie and I have probably more of a connection now than we have in years," says Buckingham. "You can feel it. It's tangible on stage. In many ways, that song is the embodiment of that. When you look at 'Without You,' it's Stevie writing a song about me when everything was before us and all those illusions were intact. 'Say Goodbye' was written 10 years ago, when most of our experience together was behind us. Part of those illusions had fallen away."
Much of their story may be behind them, but Lindsey and Stevie are still taking the stage together night after night and collaborating on new material. "It was difficult for years to get complete closure," Buckingham says. "There was never any time to not be together. It was kind of like picking the scab off an open wound again and again. That's part of the legacy of the band. But 'Say Goodbye' is a very sweet song, and it's about her: 'Once you said goodbye to me/Now I say goodbye to you.' It took a long time. All those illusions have fallen away, but that doesn't mean that there isn't resolve and hope and belief in the future in a different context. That's really what the song is about, and we end the set with just the two of us singing that song."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ew-ep-20130507

“Extended Play,” a four-song EP with your first new music in 10 years, came out on April 30 and landed in iTunes top 10. How gratifying was it that people were so eager to hear new music?

I haven”t paid too much attention to how things are going with it because, really, Mick [Fleetwood] and John [McVie] and I got together last year and we cut a bunch of tracks and then Stevie came to the table later. Even early on, Mick and John and I felt that the songs that we were doing were some of the best stuff we”d done in quite a while.

I am also happy with what it represents with the subject matter. The dialogues to Stevie that are, miraculously, still going on back and forth between Stevie and myself after all these years, I find that to be quite touching and somewhat surprising- something that neither one of us would have predicted years and years ago that we”d still somehow be driving each other”s motivation from a distance, and so I”m very happy with the way the EP turned out and it”s great to be doing some new things on stage.

You wrote one of the new songs, “Sad Angel,” for Stevie. What was her reaction when she first heard it?

I was not there, but I believe she latched onto it immediately. [When] that song was written, I was trying to reach out to her a little bit… she had a very good experience making her solo album [2011″s “In Your Dreams”] and it took her awhile to kind of sort of ease into the mentality of being in Fleetwood Mac again this time… That was a song to help lure her in a little bit, not that there was an agenda to do that, but it just seemed appropriate to what was going on at the time… “Hello Sad Angel, have you come to fight the war” and “Here we are, we fall to earth together/the crowd calling out for more.” It”s really sort of sweet that all of this is still taking place.

With piano ballad “It Takes Time,” you”re pleading for patience to someone who wants to heal you. What’s that about?

I guess the reflection is that I”m actually looking at some of the actions that I”ve taken over the years and maybe judging them more objectively and maybe getting to a point in one”s life where you can look back and say, “Hmmm, maybe I could have done that differently” and acknowledging that much of the motivation that has driven certain creative actions and certain decisions has come from that dialogue that seems to have unfolded in slow motion over a period of many years. We are still somehow on a road of evolvement.

Is that one about Stevie?

I would think so.

It”s not the only relationship you”ve had, so I wasn”t sure.

But, you know, you can slip into these roles and it”s not that the feelings that you have aren”t… it doesn”t mean they are any less authentic. But at this point, to some degree, what Stevie and I have, we”ve played these characters for so long, you know, and it doesn”t threaten anything having to do with my home life, my wife completely understands the dynamic of it. There”s a certain aspect of professionalism to it.

Do you feel that in some way now it”s part of your role to keep playing into this mythology?

Well, it”s a mixed bag. There is the mythology and there is, you could call it, a role, but you know that doesn”t mean we haven”t lived it. If you backtrack all the way back to “Rumours,” when all of this mythology rose up, if you look at the appeal of that album, it went beyond the music. It was, whether people could identify it or not, this idea that under less than ideal circumstances, in fact, under quite emotionally challenging and painful circumstances, that we were able to somehow summon up the strength to rise above that and to sort of follow through on what we needed to do fulfill our destiny, if you want to call it that. And so the subtext of “Rumours” becomes not the soap opera part so much as that it was an act of will and that has continued. Where reality stops and where the role begins, it”s a little fuzzy in there, you know.

[...]

“Extended Play” also features “Miss Fantasy,” a new track with very classic Fleetwood Mac harmonies. How did that come about? ??

That was sort of in a moment when I”d had some interaction with Stevie where I felt like I was tapping into the whole lexicon of memories and of emotional connections going all the way back to before she and I were a couple. She was really much caught up in the world of her solo effort. It was right at the end of that and I felt like it was hard to kind of find her in all of that or that perhaps more accurately, it was harder for her to find me, and the person that she knew and trusted and so you know, “Miss Fantasy,” it may be “you don”t remember me/but I remember you” and that”s really what that”s about.

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/fleetwood-m...r-a-new-album/

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 04-04-2017 at 02:18 PM..