Thread: MacNuggets
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Real Story Behind Biggest Bands
Post by: Dave-O 27 September, 2010 - 10:37 PM

He's as big or perhaps even bigger than the Aussie music industry itself. Michael Chugg, or 'Chuggi' as he's known in the music biz, is one of our most famous rock music figures.

As a rock promoter he's brought out everyone from Elton John and Billy Joel to Guns N' Roses and Bon Jovi, and he's still working as hard as ever today, about to bring U2 to our shores at the end of the year.

So we guess it was only a matter of time before he'd put pen to paper, teaming up with rock critic for The Australian, Iain Shedden to write Hey, You in the Black T- Shirt, a colourful book that lifts the lid on the world's biggest touring bands.

There are some classic stories like this excerpt we found at themusic.com.au where 'Chuggi' recalls the backstage demands surrounding Fleetwood Mac's 1977 tour of Australia, nine months after their album Rumours had been released.

"They want limes, not readily available everywhere. For the first and only time in my life I'm a lime-smuggler.

"Their tastes in alcohol, not surprisingly, are five-star French champagne, Courvoisier cognac, Tanqueray gin and Pimm's, a drink I knew about only because my mum liked one on special occasions.

"These requirements are above and beyond the security blankets they have brought along with them from the United States, such as a mobile gymnasium, two grand pianos and a masseuse. Only the masseuse and one of the pianos make it out of their flight cases during the tour.

"There was also cocaine - lots of it - although I wasn't aware of that at the beginning. An assortment of interesting people turned up with it. In Mac world, at the peak of their vacuum cleaner capabilities, whatever went up their noses was never enough."

This is definitely a must-have for all passionate rock music fans. I know I'll be lining up for a copy.

Hey, You in the Black T- Shirt by Michael Chugg with Iain Shedden is out on October 1.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/mus...0927-9z32.html