View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
do you really think that? i haven't really encountered that but maybe i'm just oblivious or don't care for such propositions.
Different situations screw women over in different ways.

I was a STEM person until very recently deciding to change my career. I took tons of science and math classes and the older I got the fewer women there were with me in those classes. I took chess classes as a kid and I was one of very few girls there. I dropped out of computer classes because I got tired of feeling like there was some game being played with how femininely or masculinely I chose to present myself. In those situations, something like wearing pink or liking a Disney princess, or when I got older, daring to wear a miniskirt could make me be seen as less serious, for sure. My mother told me she was often told how she could and could not wear her hair at work because it was naturally curly and thus too sexy for her to be viewed as professional.

You could just as easily find a woman who had difficulties because she was not feminine enough. She might get made fun of as undateable, she might get told she can't be a ballerina, she might get ostracized for her looks by idiot youtube commenters. None of it is right and none of it is fair, but all of it exists, unfortunately.

Stevie was sexy enough to be wanted for her marketability. She was also sexy enough to get dismissed as an insignificant contributor. It's a double bind, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. In rock and roll, being a sexy woman could get you success as, what, a groupie? Just because you're beautiful and sell records doesn't mean men will like it any more when you tell them "THIS is when I want to wear that dress, not THEN" or "I will record THIS song, not THAT one" or, you know, "You wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan."