View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
QUOTE=snoot: WRONG! Ever hear of Bob Welch?

I just don't understand how anyone can even think of Welch as coming even close to Green, Kirwin, or Buckingham. I just don't see the same level of creativity in playing, or in songwriting.
No no, seekerj I beseech you! Put a good ear to Mystery To Me as perhaps the best example (but I could add French Kiss + Three Hearts just as easily). If you can't appreciate what Welch did there, those offbeat chord changes and riffs, or the gritty lappings he spun so effortlessly with Bob Weston, I don't know what to say. Then there is his fantastic vocal work with Christine. And if that's not enough, tell me if you have ever heard Mick and John work more dynamically? The rhythmic pulse on MTM is on another level altogether! There is some great jam flourishes going on throughout, plus some heady chord changes and unexpected shifts. That is some of the most compelling layering I've ever head, IMO worthy of the best of the others in Green + Kirwan (Then Play On), Spencer + Kirwan (Kiln House) or Kirwan + Welch (Bare Trees/Future Games).

I guess it's just me, but I've never understood the "Welch love". But I love Green, Kirwin, and Buckingham.

Now repeat after me: => I am going to go sit down, put on a quality set of headphones of Sennheiser/Yamaha quality or higher, dim the lights just a tad, and spin up Mystery To Me. I am going to put a truly critical ear to it, and while doing so I WILL NOT allow interruptions from my wife or girlfriend, or even my best friend should he offer to get me high (notwithstanding). Then I'm gonna come back and give my honest assessment to snoot and the greenies here, for better or worse. Now promise me you'll do that.

Whatever you report back I will respect.

PS. Review this just before you take the plunge (make sure to read to the bottom )
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=15690&page=2