View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Snoot, sounds like you were around the band or saw them say, pre 1972. Would be cool to hear. Otherwise your "info "comes from books, right?
Never read any book on the band or the musicians within. Plenty of interviews and assorted articles along the way though, trust me on that. Plus I was fortunate to see a a good slice of the band in its formative, you know pre-B&N, years. There was a day when youngins used to sit around and really talk about musical bands and their personnel, swap stories and albums + tapes, compare the latest minutiae, and really align with their musical heroes. Imagine that! Now its all a flash bam boom MTV-colored world. Big difference as I see it. Sadly, the digital conversion brought certain downsides with it. Sometimes you don't even get those great liner or sleeve notes so as to learn more!

I just think it's useless to compare Danny and Peter. They were both amazing, although I agree that Danny was more limited. As for "Then Play on", Danny plays lead on his songs and "Oh well", but that's it, right? It easy to differentiate between to the two, just listen to the vibrato.

Agreed, and yes both were amazing. Peter cut such a blaze early on that even Mayall was genuinely impressed - and that says a lot. John McVie felt he might even ace Clapton in time, and this he proclaimed while he was still a Bluesbreaker! And when someone of the stature of BB King says Green was the only guitar picker who ever made him sweat, what more need be said? Peter remains in the crème de la crème category of modern axe slingers. His compositions were also out of this world: Oh Well, Albatross, Black Magic Woman, Love That Burns, Underway, Green Manalishi, Show Biz Blues ... you could go on and on. And all over but a two year period.

Peter gave Danny free reign during the TPO sessions. Truth was, he was relying on him to carry much of the weight. The majority of what you hear is Kirwan. But Peter blazed up a storm on it too, so there is no shortage of his riffs and licks either. As I said earlier, the blurring was greater than ever. The greatest crime was that we never saw the follow-up to it in proper form. Danny also did some nice tradeoffs with Jeremy on Kiln House. There's some tight interplay there when you really put your ear to it. The songs may not have been as earth shattering, as they weren't dealt from the utter depths of despair, but Spencer and Kirwan certainly made the most of that transitional hand they were dealt with their instruments (both stringed and vocal).