View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker View Post
Yike. Sorry that you're going through that.
If it helps any, I studied some neuroscience in school - the feeling seems to be that it's totally caused by a neurotransmitter imbalance - I THINK it's serotonin "but don't quote me" - so it's totally not "psychological," they think - just something in the brain that's a little out-of-tune and needs to be fixed. Look at it this way, though, at least they know how to get things back "on track" with this kind of thing, these days.

I'm studying this in Pyschology at the moment. There's a few different theories as to why people become anxious. You're right about serotonin, that's the chemical that makes us feel "happy". Obviously, reduced levels of serotonin will make someone feel depressed or anxious. Other factors come into it too though. The environment plays a factor too - what's going on in your life, work, things like that. We're always told to take a "multi-perspective" when looking at behaviourial abnormalities as they're called. It tends to be a number of different things that cause us to feel emotions, so some of it is pyschological.