View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
Something else that really shocks me about Walsh is why he is so loath to deny Stevie any dignity or status at all? It's not as if she went around pointing out that she dumped him, the way she did with Lindsey after they split. The things Stevie has said about Walsh would make most men just nod and smile and say something non-comittal that left the subject in the realm of 'it wasn't to be' or 'life's like that'. But he seems to have a real nasty streak about her that makes me think there's either something important that we don't know - or he's just a really, really nasty piece of work. Even now. Sober.

Ugh, he's making me feel nauseous. Enough!
Their situation reminds me of James Taylor and Carly Simon, who divorced presumably due to James' out-of-control drug problems. Carly today is mostly open to talking about their marriage and she has even expressed a willingness to maintain some kind of a relationship with him; after all, he is the father of her children. By sharp contrast, James wants nothing to do with her whatsoever. He has pretty much refused to communicate with Carly, let alone speak about Carly in interviews or acknowledge that they were ever even together. When Carly was on the Howard Stern show a few years ago, she mentioned that when her daughter Sally got married at James' house, she wasn't even allowed to go inside; Carly had to use the port-a-potty. Howard quipped that she should have taken a big **** right on the front lawn. Oh, how I love Howard and Carly...

The common theme here seems to be drugs. My *theory* is that, in the process of recovery, addicts take inventory of the people in their lives and determine who to keep and who to toss out. In the trash heap, theoretically, would be the enablers, the hangers-on, the triggers, etc. who can be perilous to one's recovery. In addition, there are those who have witnessed the addict's rock bottom, which can be a very, very dark place. Perhaps Joe has some kind of lingering resentment for Stevie because she was an enabler or she just couldn't/wouldn't save him from himself; after all, Stevie herself pretty much said that their addictions were spiraling out of control together. And who knows what Stevie witnessed when Joe was scraping along the bottom; perhaps he is so mortified by his own behavior that he has effectively blocked that period of time out of his mind. I suspect something similar must be going down with James Taylor...