View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is a major factor at play here as to which album will sell better. First and foremost, I think it's important to note that "24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault" was the LAST album that Stevie owed Warner/Reprise to complete her contract. The album was only recorded with the imposed deadline to complete her obligation to the label and bring her contract to an end. That being said, Warner/Reprise had no intention of launching a huge promotional push to sell the record. Thanks to Warner's lackluster promotion, "24 KG" was intentionally dead on arrival. This is sadly a common practice in the world of major label deals. When a label sees that it has nothing more to gain from an artist, they usually cut their losses and complete the contract with no promotion for the last record.

By contrast, it is my understanding that the NEW Buckingham/McVie record will be released by Atlantic Records. Thus, I'm assuming that Atlantic signed the duo to some sort of NEW deal. I'm not sure if the label thinks it will get to release any future Fleetwood Mac projects. Maybe they are hoping this "pet project" by the duo will turn into something greater.

My point is that the new Buckingham/McVie album will benefit from greater promotion from the label. This will surely translate into better sales. However, if this duo's record was up against a new Stevie album with full scale promotion from a major label, there's no way they would outsell Stevie, especially without the Fleetwood Mac name.