View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
There are a lot of lead guitarists who don't like to focus on singing. I've especially noticed among YOUNG ones, that many don't sing at all(I believe when they're a monster guitar player, they want to focus strictly on their playing - and it is hard to play some really difficult licks while you're singing). That said, I have noticed that later in life, they finally start singing.
I have almost zero formal music training, but I remember asking my sister-in-law a question about Geddy Lee playing bass and singing...."how does he do both?" Mainly because I feel bass doesn't always follow the melody as much as lead guitar does. She's a classically trained singer, Master's in Music, etc., etc. She told me that any musician can do both if one of the things can be done without thought. So it would make sense that YOUNG musicians haven't mastered the skill of playing guitar without thinking about it. And once they master the guitar, they are able to do both. But what do I know!!!!

Anyways, I always marvel at people like Neil Young who can play guitar, sing, and add in a harmonica. Amazing how the brain can work.