Thread: NME article
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default More thoughts #2

chiliD: I'm one of those who think that HAD Peter found a way to stay and Fleetwood Mac released a double live album from those Boston shows in '70, they would've, dare I say, "ruled the world"...we'd be asking "Led Zeppelin, who?"

"Found a way to stay..."? You mean stay = in the game? In the driver's seat? In the band? Fat chance. Peter's cup had filleth and overflown already. In your dreams, sure -- if only "if's" didn't count of course. But then you invariably wake up and realize wishful thinking is just that and little more. It's sad but true that all of life's regrets spin around "ifs'. Besides, it's those bumps and turns that make up the signature continuum of Fleetwood Mac, which only adds to the band's mystique and ongoing appeal. And in some ways, freshness.

slipkid: This is sacrilege I know, but Derek Trucks, and Warren Haynes are doing the '69-'71 Allmans today in the 2.0 version, and I love it! In fact I saw the Allmans in '89, and many say that Haynes doing Duane Allman, with a sober Dickey Betts maybe one of the best line-ups ever.

I'll second that in so far as Haynes (like Derek) has done a helluva job coming aboard to fill rather large boots in the latter day ABB. And we all know a clean Dickey is a better Dickey indeed. [Why oh why did he choose to file that bloody lawsuit and f*ck things up for good?]

slipkid: What scared Peter Green was that the entire summer of 1970 was supposed to be another four month U.S. tour, and he didn't want to do it. If he had the stamina to pull it off, I could almost guarantee, that we would've never had that self titled album with the witch from CA, and that other album called Rumours. They were THAT close to greatness.

Another "if only" pipe dream. Read His Cup Filleth And Ran Over from above.

BTW FM '75 and Rumours -IS- greatness. You don't seriously doubt that, do you? Beyond that, well .... that's another story ... and then some.

slipkid: Yeah, Jim Gordon was good as well. I know Baker had to pull extra weight for being in a power trio, but so did Moon (three musicians), and Mitchell. That's especially true for Keith Moon, and John Entwistle, who had to fill in where Pete Townshend did not.

Gordon was a drummer's drummer, with a deft touch that left many of his contemporaries in awe. That includes many of the great session men of the day, to include notables like Hal Blaine. Aces for Keith Moon too, with his more driving style. But another widely admired to this day.

dino: IMHO, Spencer's parody stuff doesn't translate to record. But pick..all of Peter's songs and the best Danny stuff and it would have been a huge record.

You're right about Jeremy and those frequent translation misses, but when he shifts just a tad closer to the genuine thing - a la Blood On The Floor or This Is The Rock - you quickly emerge upon fresher ground. KH is full of hints of promising JS paths, beyond its overtly nostalgic framing.