Thread: NME article
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Greetz to you too

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Welcome back! You used to keep the Peter Green, and Pre-Rumours boards alive with your opinions.
You mean, I used to rile the barricaded green troops to a state of near agitation, often with teeth gnashing. lol Well as it were, I found my way out of my cave one fine day, stumbled for a bit before passing out, only to wake up and find myself here once again. Go figure.

You know the problem with citing things like "ace albums" is that there are always more than what first meets the eye. I mean, no **** sherlock. Case in point: I blissfully overlooked Gordon Lightfoot's Sunday Concert (1969), a classic acoustic affair from the great Canadian balladeer teamed with fingerpicker Red Shea -- complete with a winning cover of Dylan's "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues". Then there was Focus Live At The Rainbow (1973) featuring Thijs van Leer and Jan Akkerman in top Dutchmeister form. Not too shabby there either.

Hell, I even enjoy The Carpenters' Live In Japan (1974) -and- Live At The Palladium (1976). Talk about a sap. But of course, you have to be either a Carpenters fan, or - at a minimum - imbued with a mellow enough musical mindset to accept a style like theirs on its own merits. For me it's easy, as they had great melodies and arrangements coupled with a top notch vocalist - one who can actually carry a note without the all too common overlay of flatness. Imagine that.

I'm sure if I put my mind to it, I could come up with even more winning concert releases from that memorable era. If nothing else, the ones cited above stand out first and foremost. BTW your point on Cream is appreciated but only partly ... however I do know where you're coming from. See below for more.