Thread: NME article
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Something told me you would come here to defend the Allman Brothers.

I don't know about the "long been touted". As far as I can tell, you had those that chose Fillmore, and others that chose Leeds. Jam band vs. the power chord. While Leeds was only five songs originally, side two of that album was freakin' amazing. I don't agree that Live in Boston is a distant third, in fact it's now my favorite by a long shot. What suffers from "Fillmore" is Whipping Post and You Don't Love Me. The jams get a little stale. Now Hot Lanta, and Liz Reed are perfect. Band of Gypsys is a good one, so is Dominoes Fillmore, which was released in '94. In the jamming dept. I like the way that Green and Kirwan hold my attention, where other bands (Grateful Dead of course) can get quite boring. So for me it's Boston all the way.
I fail to understand how ANYONE can call "Whippin' Post" & "You Don't Love Me" ...st-st-st-stale (?!?!?!). Same with the 40+ minute "Mountain Jam" from the Fillmore Concerts reissue (identical track as the one on Eat A Peach) For me, those 20+ minutes go by like they're barely 5 minutes. (Granted, same thing with the Boston Tea Party versions of "Rattlesnake Shake", too).

I'm one of those who think that HAD Peter found a way to stay and Fleetwood Mac released a double live album from those Boston shows in '70, they would've, dare I say, "ruled the world"...we'd be asking "Led Zeppelin, who?" (but, then, we'll never know where the Allman Bros would've gone had Duane Allman & Berry Oakley lived, either....plus, Hendrix, Janis, Morrison, etc, we just lost too many great ones too soon)

Cream never put out a real live album while they were together...just live tracks mixed with studio tracks for their last two albums. The two live albums they DID release were well after they'd broken up...so I don't really count those, since they're mish-mash from different shows, not all from one concert or series of shows within 24-48 hours. But, if they had, they'd be up there!

Yeah, I like the Dominos' Fillmore set, too...but, I prefer a couple of track choices from the In Concert album better...for example, "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?"...the In Concert version is far superior to the version from the Fillmore set...can't recall off the top of my head, but it's from either the evening show on the same day, or the next night. I think "Let It Rain" & "Tell The Truth" are also from different shows between the two sets, but for the most part, the Fillmore set is just an expanded version of In Concert.

The only real downside of Hendrix's Band Of Gypsys is Buddy Miles' scat singing...its great in a few places, but he just didn't seem to know when to back off. I read a thing where when Jimi was mixing the tapes for release, he just put his head in his hands and screamed "Buddy, shut the f**k UP!!!". Unfortunately, he didn't live long enough to hear the final product.

Now, for the most part, I'm right there with you regarding the Grateful Dead...love 'em a lot, but damned they can get boring quite often.

Last edited by chiliD; 08-14-2009 at 06:06 PM..