View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
I totally agree with your last comment. Musically they were the two strongest members in the group (not to dismiss mick and john, but chris and lindsey knew their ****). I do agree that Lindsey enjoyed his 'freedom' a lot during say you will...however I've always gotten the impression that although he can do more with christine gone, he's aware of the void that is left. Had Christ decided to stay The Dance tour could have gone for much longer...there could have been a whole new chapter in Fleetwood Mac's history. I've always gotten the impression that Lindsey knows this and at one point (mostly before say you will and during) it really made him upset.
Yes, I think he felt hurt by Christine leaving. He said he is the one she talked to about wanting to go during The Dance tour and he said he totally knew how she felt, even though the others did not, because he'd been there himself. He said the others weren't too happy with him for supporting Christine wanting to leave.

Yet, when 2003 rolled around, I think he was upset, disappointed hurt. In one interview Stevie said Lindsey decides whether he wants to be in the group or not and then they all say "yes" or "no." She said Christine said "no." The way Stevie worded this, it gave the impression that Christine said "no" to Lindsey personally, which is ridiculous. But I think this is a bit how Lindsey felt.

I think there was distance between Lindsey and Christine after 2003. Mick said he was listening to Lindsey and Chris talk on the phone when he realized that Chris probably wasn't coming back. I think there was a little estrangement --I'd like to hope maybe there was a bit of coming together during the Wembley shows.

Of course, I think Lindsey also enjoyed having 33% more room on tour. That was fun for him. In the studio, I think Lindsey resented some of the "room" that Christine's piano took up. I don't think she ever stopped him from doing anything musically. But I think that having to incorporate both piano/keyboards and guitar took his music in another direction, which he may have felt was sometimes constraining.

I don't think Christine ever bossed him around. In fact, I think she often sided with or yielded to him musically, in a way that made it easier for him to boss Stevie around. Stevie always said that Lindsey was the boss in the studio in those days and I think it's because the others always took his side. With Christine gone, things are more 50/50 between Stevie and Lindsey and Mick and John are less likely to side with him over her, because if she walks out, they lose FM as a whole. So, to me, Lindsey had more power with Christine there than he does going head to head with Stevie -- at least he does off stage. On stage, he gets more with Christine gone. Although even so, he had Go Insane/Big Love and ISA during the Dance tour. I can't say for a certainty that he wouldn't have had Come with Christine there too, but probably not.

Michele