Thread: Nicks McNuggets
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 03:55 PM

Default Amazing Italian review

It's written by a professor and author of paleontology, but with a great taste if I might add:

Sixty-six years?!
The time is strange.
Our perception of time is strange.
We perceive time as a sequence of events - before, during, after.
This affects our relationship with time, its perception.
I've told the story other times - in the summer of 1984, on a hot night and infested with mosquitoes, with only Pippo Baudo on television, I fished two tapes that had long dwelled in the house.
A friend had given them to my father telling him: "give your son something good to listen," and my father had put them in a drawer and forgot them.
So, in a desperate search for something that would keep the terminal boredom at bay (and did not require to keep the lights on), I put one of those tapes in my Walkman (yes, I know, these things seems taken from the Code of Hammurabi but be patient...) and discovered ... well, this.

Listen to it, then we may go ahead.

Talking about love at first sight is wrong - it was the voice of Stevie Nicks to drag me away.
I listened to "Live" by Fleetwood Mac no less than three times that night.
Stevie Nicks' voice.

Then yes, OK, when I found out more about this group of strangers (none of my high school friends knew, they listened to Duran Duran) there was also the visual impact, and found out what faces those people who were building my personal soundtrack had- Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie were extraordinary for a boy who lived in those years.

Usually we are ashamed, when around twenty/thirty years old, of the songs we listened to as teenagers.
Those who have made up our personal sentimental education, who we may not know it, but they have helped to make us what we are.
After a bit you feel a certain embarrassment.
But Fleetwood Mac, in groups or as soloists, in their English blues or Californian pop incarnation, I have listened to them incessantly for three decades.

Yeah, thirty years old. Which should have given me a minimum defense, protection.
Because today, I found out today Stevie Nicks celebrates her 66 years. Sixty-six years!
But how?

Certainly it depends on the fact that records, books and movies, freeze people at certain moments of the time.

It also depends on the fact that we perceive time subjectively more than anything else.
And in some ways I remain that high school student who listened to Live with the Walkman, and Stevie Nicks in my imagination remains the little girl dressed as a gypsy playing the tambourine.
The one whose voice broke on Landslide...

It is not possible Stevie Nicks is sixty-six years old.
It is not possible that I am forty-seven.
Somewhere something happened.
We got swindled.

But on the other part:

Time makes you bolder
children are getting older
and I'm getting older too

We knew it also that summer night of thirty years ago, right?