View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
I’m Going Home’ from the Windsor debut was first mistitled by bootleggers and then Sanctuary Records not only kept the incorrect title they compounded the error by also attributing the composer credit to Green.
It is actually a cover of an obscure Howlin’ Wolf song titled ‘Going Back Home’. It was recorded in December of 1956 it saw release as the A-side of a Chess single, but has been rarely anthologized, even in the CD age, most likely because Wolf “remade” the song some six months later, as the far superior ‘Who’s Been Talking’. The credit for the lead guitar line actually belongs to Wolf’s guitarist, Hubert Sumlin.

There are three live performances of ‘I Loved Another Woman’ in circulation, all from the first American tour in the summer of 1968. The one with Paul Butterfield at the Carousel already mentioned. Another from the Fillmore West and a third, recorded at The Space, in New York City.

It seems doubtful that Green would have ever performed ‘Show-Biz Blues’ in a concert setting as he would have had to have brought a National steel guitar along with him. A BBC broadcast would have been the only “live” setting I could imagine him doing it in.

Closing My Eyes’ would have been too difficult to pull off in concert. Not because they could not have come up with an arrangement for a live performance, but because it was too intimate a number, and I do not believe that Green wanted to open himself up like that on a nightly basis.
He did with numbers such as ‘Jumping At Shadows’ and ‘Before the Beginning’ but I do not see him adding yet another number like that into the set.

There is one live recording of ‘Without You’ that I know of, (great performance) though I have never been able to definitively nail down the date. I believe that it comes from the November 1969 Scandinavian tour, but it is impossible to say with certainty.
One Sunny Day’ seemed like a natural for concert number and it is a mystery and a shame that they never developed it as one.

Similar to the evolution of ‘Going Home’ to ‘I Loved Another Woman’, ‘Drifting’ eventually became ‘Fast Talking Woman Blues’ and there are two performances, recorded just days apart, in November 1968 at club shows in Sweden.
Unfortunately, the sound quality on these recordings are pretty poor.
Could you point me in the direction to hear that version of Without You?