View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 02:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
The Sirius XM FM Channel has been playing some live tracks from Lindsey and Stevie's first tour with the band in 75.

I remember all my bootlegs from the first two tours with Buckingham and Nicks playing "Oh Well", "Green Manalishi", "Hypnotized", "Why", "Station Man" "Spare Me a Little", "Rattlesnake Shake", "Jumping at Shadows", "Emerald Eyes", "Sunny Side of Heaven", "Miles Away" "Tell Me All The Things You Do", and a few others.

But nobody labeled them a "cover band".

We don't even have a first show set list with Mike Campbell and Neil Finn, but they're being called a cover band from fans, many of whom only started listening in 97. Funny how things evolve over time with Fleetwood Mac fans.
Not remotely the same situation.
In the first tours with Lindsey and Stevie, the 1975 album had just barely come out. Fleetwood Mac was not really famous in the US yet and that lineup was very new. Of course they were going to have to play older songs on that early tour. But, they still played the new material that they had put out-- Rhiannon, Blue Letter, So Afraid, Landslide, World Turning, etc.
Unless you count the two songs off the EP, not since Say You Will have they toured behind new music. And they've had 3 tours since then, now going on the 4th without any new music. And if they're bringing in Mike Campbell and Neil Finn and are going to start singing some Tom Petty songs for reasons I truly don't understand, then of course people are going to be tempted to call them a cover band.
And this is coming from someone who's never really minded 'greatest hits tours' as much as a lot of other people. I understand that that's the norm for those big, classic bands when they're older.