View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
How can you possibly compare these bands? Fleetwood Mac started as a blues band lead by Peter Green and Jemy Spencer, then became a folky jazz pop rock band lead by Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch, and Christine McVie, and ultimately become a California pop band lead by Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks. Why is the thought of them becoming an Americana band lead by Billy Burnette and Bekka Bramlett so out there? By contrast, the Rolling Stones have always been lead by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.
I have great respect for the early lineups, but the Rumours lineup is what shot the band into the stratosphere. When members were coming, going and being replaced in the early 70's, the band had not yet become a global phenomenon (yes, I know they were a classic in England). However, the Nicks/Buckingham/McVie lineup sealed the fate of the band forever. If the 91-94 new lineup had gone out and tried something more original, I may have been more open minded......but, getting Bekka Bramlett, Billy Burnett and Dave Mason onstage to perform things like "Gold Dust Woman", "Say You Love Me", "Don't Stop", "Go Your Own Way" and "Dreams" while opening for REO SPEEDWAGON and PAT BENATAR on a NOSTALGIA TOUR PACKAGE was nothing short of a ridiculous plan to keep Mick Fleetwood's rent paid. I'm not quite sure what was "Americana" about it.