View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

It took a long time to return to this particular formation, but it was lost again when Christine left in 1997. And it seemed to just be coming together again when she returned. It's sad that the five fell apart again.
The thing with this band is, sure, they are professional musicians who will still put on a technically good show. They will play a bunch of songs that the audience knows and will most likely make a fortune. But there is something specific about this fivesome that just gels and when together, the game is upped several levels. In 1997, they were a LOT better than the 1987-90 band (and sorry but I just refuse to even talk about the county fair circuit in the mid-90's), and something was just not right from 2003-2013. Live and on Say You Will, Christine's absence was glaring and it just wasn't the same. In 2014, it all came back. There was a magic in the performances that had been missing for the prior decade. It's the same with Buckingham McVie. I actually enjoy the album (as I did Say You Will), but it just wasn't the same without the three voices on it. It is an absolute shame that the likely final chapter of this band is going to be written in this way. And that's not a knock on Mike Campbell or Neil Finn. They're there to replicate what was already done and they will do it professionally, but whatever it is that comes together with the Rumours 5 will not be replicated.