View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think between the time I downloaded it and now I've listened to this song probably about 50 times. It is fantastic!

There are very few songs that I "get into" DURING my first listen, but this was one of them.

The opening country style guitar riff has Fleetwood Mac (more specifically, Lindsey Buckingham) written all over it. The bassline is quite plain at the moment, and I can almost already hear John's eternally awesome signature bass in its place. The main electric guitar is tonally identical (with possibly just a bit more distortion/overdrive added) to the guitar used in "Thrown Down" - that classic "Isn't It Midnight" Lindsey tone, it seems to have become Lindsey's signature studio tone.

Lindsey really is the master of "less is more" isn't he! The simple E-B, E-C, F#-D, F#-G-F# single notes under the vocals are what makes the song, in my opinion. They're what gives the song that sorrowful yet hopeful mood.

As Madformac said, as a guitarist I must rather selfishly say I wish there would be a huge guitar solo in ANY LB song, but somehow the lack of one in this song seems to be the musically right choice: it all fits together perfectly the way it is and that mini guitar solo that goes along with the final chorus is awesome. My favourite part has to be that fret 22(->24) bend at 3:00...from a guitarist's point of view my ears aren't usually expecting anything higher in pitch than a 21->23 bend and I like it when I get surprised like that. Again, not technically difficult, but fits that final run of the chorus SO well!!!

My favourite single thing about the whole song: those "Gift Of Screws" voice machine generated "laughs" during the chorus. The way they fill those gaps in the chorus so perfectly.....inspired.

The song is, again as Madformac said, very radio friendly, and more importantly, it sounds really FRESH (even though it is now 2 years old.) The Fleetwood Mac version which we will hear on the new album will undoubtedly sound even newer: the combination of Lindsey's, Stevie's, Mick's and John's talents here will in my opinion result in one of the best songs on this upcoming album.