View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
One wonders why Stevie's seriousness as a songwriter was never picked up by the very men in the business she wanted to please and rival: the Eagles-Jackson Browne-JD Souther-James Taylor axis of West Coast singer-songwriters in the 1970s. Stevie gets a lot of love from other musicians, but they're almost all Gen Y and Millennial.
Actually, she was well-regarded for her songwriting in the beginning (after the white album and Rumours). Hence people like Waylon Jennings asking her to write him a song. And having her sing on your song would make it a much bigger hit-- which is why Kenny Loggins bypassed Melissa Manchester (with whom he wrote the song) to get Stevie on Whenever I Call You Friend, and John Stewart wanted her desperately on Gold as well as on Midnight Wind, etc.

I've never been sure why that dropped off a bit after Tusk. Her songs on there were all very good. I get that she may have turned things down because she was prepping for her solo stuff, but.... still. It turned then from people wanting her to write for them or sing with them to people trying to get her to record THEIR songs.... The songs on BD had higher quality because so many had been around for so long, As the pressure to keep cranking out 10-12 good songs for each album grew, her quality went down . Of course, the drug use skyrocketed during this period as well, so......