View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Thanks for posting. This guy is spot on. Never noticed her emphasis on the bbbbbbbbs before.

Loved the hot librarian reference

I agree. Her vibe matches the song perfectly. She sold the song.

I always loved songs where the background vocals don't match up exactly to the lead vocal. Stevie does this frequently with her background vocals in her solo stuff. Love that Stevie does not try to over sing the song. She is so grounded and like the whispering hot librarian telling you a secret story

He wasn't saying really that she was emphasizing them, because any time you say a plosive (something that expels a small puff of air... like B, P, D, T) that puff of air gets picked up by the microphone. He ws saying he didn't understand why the engineers/producer didn't plan for this and have one of those windscreens between her and the mic or use a different mic.
His info was off on the recording, though-- he said they did it at Village Recorder and took forever to record-- which was Tusk, but the white album was done at Sound City with Keith Olsen and was one of the few Rumours5 did pretty quickly (by their standards). It did not take a year to record.
We do have to remember though that this was recorded in 1974/75.

I agree that things sound too over-produced and frankly kinda cold and manufactured when everything is too perfect. Rock and roll is about not being perfect but having a great vibe and conveying the emotion. Stevie does that all amazingly. And frankly, singing a little off the main vocals is one of Stevie's signatures.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 03-03-2021 at 12:33 PM..