View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
. . . The thing is, Tango was not just a cursory appearance by Lindsey, like you could say Chain was. He was intricately involved in every aspect of Tango, production, songwriting, videos, press. To say that he was, indeed, in a band that he was working diligently with throughout the Tango process, is not just lipservice. It can't be said he had "all but left" the band and he just made it "official" in 1987. His integral band involvement did not stop until the album was complete, the publicity for it was done and he actually left. From 1982-1987 he wasn't out of the band any more than anyone else was out of it. The whole band was on hold.
Oh - TITN is very LB. I did not say it was not or that he did a half effort. I am saying that I do not think LB wanted to go back to FM after Mirage. But, he did (IMO because Go Insane sold poorly) and his solo record, which he wanted to sell well, became TITN, which did sell well and the pretty much all LB Big Love (a no. 5 hit) was a huge part of that. Interestingly, would Big Love have sold as well without the Stevie sounding love grunts - who can say? I am not in any way saying FM had officially broken up or that LB had officially and/or publicly left. I am saying I think they were ready to go to work and he was putting them off for awhile after Mirage. I think LB just did not want to go back, but in the end did and he certainly put a great deal of effort into TITN. Put it this way, if LB had not morphed the solo record into TITN - what would the status of FM have been? I suggest it would have been over until at least 1990. While that is not an official break up, it is an effective one, which is all I am asserting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
As for your comment that Stevie did not need the band, had a successful solo career and did not have to come back, yeah maybe. But that has nothing to do with whether Lindsey left the band. It sounds like arguments you could make explaining why Stevie left the band from 1982-1987, but I don't think she left it either.
I think it is relevant in that she was moving full steam ahead with a sort of "I am ready, willing, and able and if FM is never going to make up its mind (read LB IMO) to record again, then I am not waiting" attitude. I think she never viewed herself as the hold out. Just speculation, but the playing of events does suggest it. Another difference is La Nicks never was portrayed in the press and by her own words as ever begrudgingly going back to FM, save for perhaps now. It is usually the opposite.

Actually, now is a similar situation to the 1983-87 era. Is FM currently broken up? Will we get another record from them? Only they know I supose.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 05-17-2008 at 03:12 PM..