View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
“The darker side of “What Makes You Think You’re The One” was rooted in the lyrics and performance that revisited Lindsey’s feelings toward Stevie and their past as a couple, a breakup that was only two years old at this point. If there was any doubt of who the song was about, Lindsey did his best to imitate Stevie’s distinctive vibrato, giving it a bleating, goatlike quality, and her rudimentary piano playing, which he knew made her self-conscious. This only served to exacerbate Stevie’s feelings of mistreatment by her ex, in a very dysfunctional way that I was to discover directly from her. Stevie provocatively described her experience making Tusk as being like one of the hostages in Iran held by Lindsey as the Ayatollah Khomeini who had seized power of Studio D.” -Ken Caillat
Is everyone who reads that quote obligated to take it as Bible?
Ken Caillat wasn't the creator or author of the song. Is he a mind-reader? That perspective flirts like it's not a good song.

To me Lindsey's vocals and stylings are great on that track. Just like Stevie's vocals are great on Sisters and Chris' are on Brown Eyes.

The whole package of What Makes You Think You're the One isn't everything Stevie. I think it's in vein with the spirit of the album, which is a new plank to walk. And Stevie honors that risk the band took in praising Harry's career choice.