View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
So, without going through the whole list, is Rumours the only Mac album in the 500? If so, thats shocking given the number of multiple albums in there from their contemporaries. Is this a sign of Fleetwood Mac's waning influence and, dare I say it, legacy?
Yes, it is. I remember in the first versions of the list there was the white album at number 183. But I wouldn't say it's a sign of the end of FM legacy at all, since Rumours climbed up 18 positions and got in the top 10, so if anything the band influence has grown.
This new list reflects the waning of the legacy of a certain music; in the last two decades black music have substituted rock. The previous lists were male,white and rock dominated, in fact 4 of the first 10 positions were taken just by the Beatles, only one was taken from a black artist and none of the acts featured women, while on this new list 4 of the top 10 music acts are black and 3 feature women, Rumours included.
In this perspective the lack of earlier FM material doesn't mean that the albums of the pre-Rumours era aren't artistically valid anymore but that they're not seen as relevant and influential on today's music.