View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
See, I think The Chain really falls short without the harmonies. To my ears, the melody of the verses is in a cyclical kind of way, very defined by the harmony. In the sense that it's difficult to pinpoint who is even singing the lead line because all of the lines are so dependent on one another. During the chorus, it's not so much the harmony but the echoing of his lines by the girls that adds to the build of the song (along with all of the instrumentation, of course).

The funny thing is, what Lindsey's playing there is really the same thing he plays on his Turner when he does it live with the band. That's just a testament to how well the guitar part stands on it's own - enough to do it justice acoustically, which isn't typical of a lead guitar part.

All of this to say, I think Lindsey & his boys could do an acoustic version of The Chain quite well (I'm envisioning guitar, acoustic bass, and cajon/foot!tambo), but I don't think a completely solo version would work because of the lack of additional voices.
What she said
I have nothing to add