View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I love Lindsey's production of ILLUME, but I find the lyrics to be embarrassing. I think when it first came out it was called ILLUME (9/11). After people complained and commented about the stupid lyrics, they removed the (9/11). The song is all about her and it doesn't make sense. I sorta like the chant but it doesn't got with the rest of the song. Par for the course.
The reasons you don't like the lyrics are the exact reasons I do like the lyrics. If no one told you it was about 9/11 its very likely you may not even know. That is what symbolism is about. You can dissect the song and find the symbolism like a great poem.
One of her descriptions hit home for me when she refers to 9/11 "its just like a river, its never ending" That is exactly how I felt about that day. It was not just one terrorist attack but a day full of tragedy that just kept coming, hour after hour. The best way to see or learn about history is sometimes through the eyes of someone and their personal experiences. Her story about looking out the window and burning incense to escape the smell is very riveting IMHO. Her calling Osama "shadow of a stranger" is excellent. Its a poem, not a pop song.
What we do agree on is Lindsey's arrangements. The first time you hear the song, you are like WTF? But he captures the unpredictability of 9/11 perfectly. Its a poem that is set to music. Its angry and awkward. The hollow sound of that beginning percussion sets the mood.
This would have been an easy pass for the album. Its a poem, not a pop song. Yet Lindsey made it happen. I think its brilliant from every angle. Not sure why SYW gets bashed in this forum so much yet Tusk is praised. They are both cut from the same cloth at times and really showcase Lindsey's skills.