View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Stevie recounts her 9/11 memories

Stevie Nicks recounts her harrowing memories of 9/11
Stevie Nicks InfoFriday, September 11, 20203 min read
Stevie Nicks has shared some thoughts about 9/11. Stevie was in New York when the terrorist strikes occurred. She also shared the audio clip of “Illume (9-11)” from Fleetwood Mac’s 2003 album Say You Will, a song reflecting on her 9/11 experience.

Read Stevie’s full comments below:

Today is 9-11, a day no one ever forgets. As you know I was there ~ and it seems like yesterday. Looking down from high up in the Waldorf Astoria Hotel at 7:30 on the morning of 9-11 at a sea of yellow cabs~ thinking about going out to enjoy the beauty of New York~ deciding to go to sleep for a few hours and then go out…

The next time I looked out of that same window it was totally grey. No sign of life. My assistant didn’t wake me until after the second plane hit.

And the world changed. I was there from early that morning until Friday night. I waited for my 3 gigs to cancel. I was not going to cancel.

As I drove away in a bus as the sun was going down there was a part of me that wanted to say “Turn this bus around. I need to go back.”

The love and camaraderie and determination of everyone to help was so strong that you could feel it in your blood. Gathered around the TV~ my small team and I watched George Bush stand on that huge pile of debris~ and spiritually reach out to all of us, to try and give us hope in a hopeless situation. I cried. The city cried. The grey sky was crying. But we didn’t feel beaten.

We had this illusive thing in our hearts called hope.
Hope is everything.
The lack of hope ~ is devastating. The opposite of hope ~ is nothing.

When I got home 6 weeks later, I wrote a song called Illume. I have never been able to sing it on stage. I can still hardly listen to it 19 years later. The thing about a song is~ it lives on and reminds you~ in detail~ what happened on a day like 9-11.

I’m going to go listen to it now.

Love,
Stevie Nicks

P.S.
Below is a snippet of a poem I wrote in 2008. I thought these words might mean something to you right now. Poetry is an amazing thing. Sometimes you say things in a poem that you might not say in real time.

Please God
Show us the way
Please God, on this day~
Spirits all, give us the strength
Peace can come if you fight harder~
I think we’re just in time
To save it
Please God
Show us the way
I hope these words give you some hope~

I love you all,
Stevie