View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

it depends on two people, their interests, characters, outlook, tons of things... although the gap between 2 people may be generational, it seems that people you describe had other differences as well, that may or may not stem from their [really not that large] age difference.
In her case, she was a child of the '60's, born in 1950 and her husband being from a totally different generation, the gap is pretty noticeable at times - they don't listen to the same music (sometimes a generational issue), they came from different economic status (not a generational issue). There are times he is more like her father than her husband and treats her as such (totally a generational issue). I believe my generation has more in common and is more similar to hers - she is 20 years older than me. But, I do know it's made me think twice about dating anyone that much older.

And, that's not to say there aren't exceptions like you & Bee have experienced. Living in the South may also have something to do with it, I don't know. But, other problems that exist: the decline in health of the older partner, being in different places in your life than your mate, retirement, slowing down, emotional changes, just being on a different page altogether. It's really challenging for some couples.

Anything and everything is new and exciting when you are getting to know someone. But, listening to Frank Sinatra when you're dating can easily become that thing that drives you insane when you're married and you're wishing he listened to Fleetwood Mac or the Stones...or Bon Jovi & Journey & Whitney Houston. LOL.

Last edited by CADreaming; 06-23-2012 at 08:48 PM..