View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I suppose if he talked/wrote about his wife and kids sales would plummet. The fabulous decades long drama looks awful in that light, just Stevie flirting with a married man again.

Okay, I know I'm on ignore with some of the hardcore Rumours/B-N worshippers here from some time back, so I'll trouble your shangri-la no more with reality about abortions and such. You want your fantasy of a great romance but not the actual details. I just hope neither ends up like another figure of hero worship Michael Jackson. Apparently it's hard to sleep at night in these fantasy lands. I'd rather be Peter Green without the massive money; he's saner and more true to his art than anyone. So funny how those who talk most about big loves and all that showy jazz actually do so many inhuman things and leave behind real victims.
Um, but he does write songs about his family (and use video/pics in promo, etc) and he certainly DOES talk about his 'beautiful wife' and family - many times when he talks about him and Stevie, he'll talk its complexity, the love, etc but then disclaim what he says with the whole 'but I'm happily married, a surprise late in life' and so on. He's also, several times, made a point of contrasting him and Stevie in terms of how he's married/has kids and she doesn't have that, and how thankful he is for it.

He refers to his wife/kids onstage, in interviews for hardcore fans, in interviews for the general public, all of that. Sales don't plummet because of that. That would be ridiculous. MOST people don't go through FM or LB lyrics before purchasing music going 'oooh! that one's about Stevie and so's that one but if they were about his wife instead then I'd totally not bother with buying the album.'

And I'm not sure that they're that calculated re. being careful to tread lightly on the drama-love-r'ship line considering some of the almost unbelievable quotes they've both made on the topic. If they are calculated that much, I'd tell them to get difference advice on how to do so because at times it makes neither of them look particularly healthy or 'over it'... And it's often in conjunction with other quotes about present happiness and contentment with their situation (either single/married) so it doesn't really work as a tool for shipper's fantasies either.

I would also venture to say that not all 'shippers' do want to live in some happy fantasy hero-worshipping world with declarations of undying love and ignoring reality. In fact, I think the reality of the situation (and that includes both the present reality of a marriage/kids for Lindsey and also the past realities of some probable really unpleasant times that went down) makes their story and their current interactions MORE interesting. All details do (to me, and whether positive or negative) is give me a clearer picture of these two people and their incredibly flawed and complicated history and relationship. And that r'ship doesn't have to be a current sexual relationship or even a romantic one at all. They're plenty fascinating enough without that

Even if I might join Lindsey in his dreaming from time to time...