View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Outside of Rumours, I don't think that Lindsey believes songs about Stevie are commercial successes -- not for him. He seems to like Big Love an awful lot and that's not about Stevie primarily. He doesn't sell any more records whether he's quoting Emily Dickinson or talking about his wife and kids (It Was You) or singing long live the queen.

So, I think he's writing for his own needs, not to continue drama for the public's sake. I think focused fans really miscalculate the extent to which anyone else cares about what these people write today.

I think he thinks writing about complicated relationships and the dynamics between people who have known each other a long time is inherently intriguing and they don't necessarily have to be romantic relationships or not actively romantic anyway. It's the fact that you have this bond and love for people that you don't even LIKE some of the time that makes it fascinating for him. He says they shouldn't have been in a band together, yet he's been through things with him that he hasn't been through with people who were in the same family as him and I think that contradiction continues to stimulate him, emotionally and creatively.

A lot of his songs like Peacekeeper or Sad Angel or even Shut Us Down are about work, not a love affair. And I think it's easy to be enthralled by their relationships without wanting them to get married and have babies. What's not fake or fabricated is that some of the people have known each other since the sixties and some have known each other since 1975 and they still are together in one sense or another. That interests me no end.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 07-10-2013 at 01:54 PM..