View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 03:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
Last Week's Movie:
"You know what I feel like? I feel all the time like a 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof'" ... hmmm, when I was younger, my mother used to say I was like a fart in a hot skillet... but I don't suppose the two are anywhere near the same. Anyhow, excellent movie... Liz and Paul were sooo very hawt back then.

This Week's Movie:
Dial M for Murder. I enjoyed this Hitchcock film, but not nearly as much as The Birds. I could watch Tippi and the crows a hundred thousand times and never tire of it. Anyone ever take one of those college classes on the study of Hitchcock? I've been tempted but fear I may end up disliking his movies after dissecting them to the enth degree.
It depends on the movie and your approach to it. I've taught several of those types of classes, although I prefer to use Rear Window for teaching. Having studied film for years (just finishing phD right now) Hitchcock is often a great way to introduce students to film studies after giving them an introduction via more current stuff. Psycho is of course always used too.

There are several ways to approch it. Either you just discuss the techincal elements, camera movement, framing etc, and how they contribute to the film... or you talk more about the history of the film and studio industry at that point, or Hitchcock's repeated use of the same techniques and how his work can be identified...or you can get into a major discussion about "proper" film theory and psychoanalysis etc (which was very in vogue in the 50s and 60s). That's the stuff that can turn a lot of people off though, for very good reason! Of course the best way is to consider all these at the same time and focus on one or two of them...

If you seriously do want to study him then pm me and I will happily answer any questions you may have and provide you with a watching/vieiwing list and give you some notes on the key films - it will get you ahead in whatever couirse you take! Of course if you're just after general information and noa qualification or anything then I can just discuss them with you via pm if you want and save you taking a course at all.

Sorry, that made me sound abit full of myself there!

Last edited by Dodfather; 08-23-2009 at 03:41 AM..