Thread: Sick Of You
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
The instrumentation is pleasant but jars with the lyrics and the disgusted tone of his vocal (appropriate considering the subject matter).

The lyrics are generic and unimpressive; the chorus is especially lazy. It doesn't even make sense. "I'm so sick of you / No one else will ever do / I'm so sick of you." It's like he was looking for a rhyme and didn't even care if it had a logic to it. No one else will ever do in order to make him sick? Or are we supposed to insert "but" in there? At any rate, could there be a more uninspired lyric than "No one else will ever do"? And, of course, it gets repeated ad nauseum.

I see it as a reflection of the mental paradox that I assume is portrayed in the movie. You're in a rut. Your spouse takes you for granted. The spouse's habits are ultra annoying. Yet if you had to do it all over again, you couldn't imagine yourself with anyone else and can't think of a life without them even if you do want some changes in the relationship. So, I don't think the chorus is nonsensical but I agree with you about "no one else will ever do" . That is about as lame and sixties dated a lyric "as filled me with all of his charms" is. Michele